Extra Fat? Don’t Just Lose it, Use it!
If you’re one who pays attention to the latest trends in aesthetic medicine, chances are quite good that you have heard of fat transfer or fat injections. This process of removal and injection has been a brilliant addition to cosmetic surgery and aesthetic practices such as ours. We are pleased to offer patients choices in how they achieve their desired appearance. Here, we want to touch on some of the details of fat transfer to help you better understand what’s possible.
What is Fat Transfer?
As it sounds, fat transfer is a process of removing extra fat cells from a particular area using a meticulous liposuction technique. Some of the popular areas for liposuction include the abdomen, buttocks, back, and thighs. Liposuction for fat grafting is not focused only on extracting usable fat cells, but on perfecting the contours of the harvest area, as well. Depending on how much fat is needed for the receiving area, liposuction may be performed in more than one part of the body.
Where Does that Fat Go?
There are some uses for harvested fat. These include:
- Augmentation of the buttocks. Most people know this process as the Brazilian Butt Lift or BBL.
- Facial rejuvenation. Fat cells are often referred to as “liquid gold,” one of the best facial fillers around. Because injected fat cells integrate into soft tissue, results from augmentation last years rather than months.
- Hand rejuvenation. Like dermal fillers, fat cells are often used to restore plumpness to the backs of the hands.
- Breast augmentation. Not all surgeons perform breast augmentation with fat. While there are advantages for certain patients, breast implants continue to be go-to for larger-scale enlargement.
What you Need to Know
More people are considering fat injections for facial and body improvements. Details that are important to know include:
- Fat transfer has quickly gained popularity for its minimally-invasive nature and long lasting results.
- Not all fat cells will make it through the integration process. Surgeons advise patients to take extra care after fat transfer to support the greatest extent of integration over the several-week recovery process. According to studies, up to 70% of the fat cells injected into a target area survive integration and live within the new area as if they always have.
- Results from fat transfer can be remarkable. The extent of enhancement may be more noticeable in more localized locations such as the cheeks or hands. However, there is a reason why Brazilian Butt Lifts are so popular! Fat grafting works!
Would you like to know more about the fat transfer? Call our Danville office at 925-838-4900. We’d love to speak with you.
Category: Fat Transfer