Are You a Candidate for Eyelid Surgery?
Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty) is a procedure that improves the appearance of drooping skin from the upper eyelids over the eyelashes, puffiness of your upper and lower eyelids, and deep grooves under the eyes. If drooping skin around your eyes makes you look tired or older than you are, blepharoplasty may be right for you.
Generally, the best candidates for eyelid surgery are:
- Patients who have loose upper eyelid skin to impairs vision
- Patients with dark circles or bags under the eyes
- In good health with no life-threating illnesses or medical conditions which could interfere with healing
- Non-smokers, as smoking can impede proper blood flow
- Patients who do not have serious eye conditions
- Patients who have realistic expectations about the outcome of eyelid surgery, knowing that
You may not be a good candidate for blepharoplasty if:
- You are have certain medical conditions including thyroid gland problems, dry eyes, retinal detachment or glaucoma, or systemic problems like high blood pressure, diabetes or cardiovascular disease
- You have an infection that could impede the successful outcome of eyelid surgery
- You have unrealistic expectations
The Upper Eyelid Procedure
Upper eyelid surgery involves making an incision at the natural crease of the eyelid to remove excess skin, muscle and fat. Marking the natural lines and creases of your lids will keep your scars as hidden as possible along these natural folds. Fine sutures will then be used to close the incisions which helps minimize the appearance of scars.
The Lower Eyelid Procedure
Traditionally, lower eyelid surgery involves making an incision just below the eyelashes, and then trimming or repositioning extra fat and skin and tightening the muscle of the lower eyelid. An alternative approach called a transconjunctival procedure involves making an incision inside the lower eyelid to correct eyelid puffiness caused by excess fat.
Are you interested in learning more about the benefits of eyelid surgery?
Category: Eyelid Surgery