What Causes Aging? | 5 Things to Avoid!
While skin aging is to some extent inevitable, much of what ends up showing on our faces is a reflection of our environment and lifestyle choices. So, when it comes to keeping skin healthy and beautiful, we want to make sure our patients are well prepared! Let’s take a look at some of the biggest culprits of premature aging. Do you know what to watch out for?
Here Are 5 Things to Avoid to Keep Skin Healthy and Youthful!
- Sun exposure: If your goal is keeping skin fresh and youthful, your number-one goal should be avoiding too much exposure to the sun. Besides the obvious increased risk of developing skin cancer, UV radiation – like that from the sun or from indoor tanning — can cause a host of cosmetic issues including fine lines, wrinkles and skin discoloration. Keep that in mind the next time you’re thinking about skipping the sunscreen or heading to the tanning salon.
- Smoking: Looking for one more reason to kick the habit? Besides the obvious health risks, years of smoking can damage your skin’s collagen. This is a vital structural protein that keeps skin, fresh, springy and youthful.
- Stress: Do your skin a favor – relax! While stress can certainly wreak havoc on your sense of well-being, researchers today are looking into the connection between chronic stress and accelerated aging.
- Sweets: It seems that too much sugar can affect more than just your number on the scale! New research is looking at the connection between sugar consumption and a process known as glycation. Elle Magazine recently featured this topic and what it could mean for your appearance, explaining that, “When those [skin] proteins hook up with renegade sugars, they become discolored, weak, and less supple … This shows up on the skin’s surface as wrinkles, sagginess, and a loss of radiance.”
- Alcohol: While moderate alcohol consumption is thought to offer some health benefits, overindulging could have an effect on your appearance – particularly when it comes to skin sagging. This is based on the fact that too much alcohol results in very high levels of inflammatory agents in the skin.
Turning Back the Clock
Of course, for patients already seeing the signs of premature aging, there are several solutions available! Here are three of today’s top cosmetic procedures:
- BOTOX®: Fine lines and wrinkles affect nearly everyone to some extent. Thankfully, cosmetic dermatology offers several minimally-invasive treatments – and, there are none more popular than BOTOX. Essentially a muscle relaxer, BOTOX works to reduce the appearance of “dynamic” lines like crow’s feet and frown lines.
- Fillers: For deeper lines that are readily visible, patients will often benefit from a soft tissue filler like Juvéderm®. Working to “fill in” the valleys of creases, these treatments add volume to the skin and promote a more youthful face shape.
- Laser skin resurfacing: When it comes to uneven skin tone and texture, there are few treatments as effective as laser skin resurfacing. Using special light energy, the treatment can combat the effects of sun damage, brown spots and much more.
Dermatologist in Danville
To learn more about these or any of the cosmetic treatments we offer, we encourage you to contact us today. Our offices are located in Danville, serving the surrounding areas. Schedule your appointment at (925)272-2695. We look forward to meeting with you.
Category: Cosmetic Dermatology News