What is Scar Revision?
When you suffer a wound to your body, it eventually heals, but the scar it leaves behind can be a constant, unsightly reminder of the injury that put it there in the first place. The good news is, in many cases a scar can be revised. Scar revision is the process of minimizing a scar’s appearance to make it look more consistent with the rest of your skin tone and texture.
The most common examples of scars that are treated include:
- Keloid scars. This type of scar is a lumpy or ridged part of the skin that typically grows beyond the parameters of a wound. They can be treated with corticosteroid injections, freezing tissue to kill the skin cells, laser treatment or radiation.
- Hypertrophic Scars. These scars, which are thick, red and raised, look a bit like keloids but they don’t travel outside the boundary of the injury. Treatment for hypertrophic scars include steroid injections or, in more aggressive treatments, the surgical removal of scar tissue. Most often, however, this type of scar will fade on their own over time.
- Contracture scars. When a burn or wound causes skin loss, the edges of the skin pull together (or contract.) This is the most severe type of scar because it affects tendons and muscles, as well as restricts movement. Minor contracture scars can sometimes be treated with a steroid medical injection.
Scar revision may be right for you if:
- You’re in good physical health with no active diseases or pre-existing medical conditions.
- You don’t smoke, as smoking decreases blood supply and impeded the healing process.
- You don’t have a skin disease or acne in the area being treated.
- You have a positive outlook and realistic goals for your scar revision surgery. It may take several months for your scar to face, but the results last a lifetime.
Are you bothered by a scar on your body?
To determine if scar revision is right for you, contact Dr. Jerome Potozkin today. Our office is located in Danville, California, and we can be reached at (925)272-2695. We look forward to hearing from you!
Category: Laser Treatments