More Men Choosing Cosmetic Dermatology
In years past, certain cosmetic procedures were primarily reserved for the fairer sex. It was rare to see men undergoing chemical peels, microdermabrasion and other sorts of cosmetic treatments. In today’s world, however, attitudes have shifted, and more and more, men are turning to some of the very same cosmetic procedures as women. So, just how many men are seeking out BOTOX®, microderm and laser treatments? These numbers may surprise you.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) releases yearly data on the surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures men and women are choosing every year. According to the most recent data, when it comes to minimally invasive cosmetic procedures, men represented a full 8% of all procedures performed. Furthermore, the number of procedures among men is on the rise. In 2011 alone, there were 989,644 minimally invasive procedures performed on men, an 8% increase over the 2010 number, which was just over 918,000.
Wondering just which procedures men are choosing? Read on to find out!
Top 5 Cosmetic Procedures for Men
The ASPS also ranks the top cosmetic procedures — both surgical and non-surgical — by gender. Here are the top 5 minimally invasive procedures among men, based on the most recent ASPS data:
1. Botulinum Toxin Type A: What’s that, you may be asking? Botulinum Toxin Type A is a category of injectables that includes BOTOX® and Dysport®. These are essentially muscle relaxers that work to prevent facial wrinkles, particularly intermittent creases such as “frown lines.”
2. Laser Hair Removal: Laser hair removal is a minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure aimed at removing unwanted body hair using light energy. Our practice is proud to offer LightSheer™ Hair Removal, which is considered the industry “gold standard” in achieving permanent hair reduction.
3. Microdermabrasion: Microdermabrasion, also known as Microderm, uses a stream of fine particles to smooth the skin, soften fine lines, combat the appearance of sun damage and more.
4. Chemical Peel: Chemical Peels are one of the most versatile treatments around. The procedure works to remove damaged outer layers of skin, smooth texture, reduce scarring and produce healthy, glowing skin.
5. Soft Tissue Fillers: Soft tissue fillers are a big category that includes products like JUVÉDERM® and Restylane®. Treatments like this work by “filling in” the valleys of creases. For many patients, the result is a fresher, more youthful appearance.
Cosmetic Procedures in Danville
To learn more about your Cosmetic Dermatology options, we encourage you to contact us today. Our offices are located in Danville, and you can schedule your appointment at (925)272-2695. We look forward to meeting you.
Category: Cosmetic Dermatology News